As the title to this entry suggests, I’ve been rolling out the lame excuses as to why I’m not training much again.
I came to the realisation last week, that I am coping ok with one long run a week to keep my training up to scratch – this taps into the lazy gene which I have been blessed with, making me think that there’s no real reason for me to train harder than I have to.
Before you all start screaming at your computer screens (yes dad, this is mainly aimed at you!), I know this is not the attitude to adopt, but I just can’t help it. For everyone that knows me, I have always been the same when it comes to things like this – if I can get away with not doing something, I will.
By admitting this, I’m not saying I’m not doing anything extra, I just know I’m not doing as much as I’m meant to. I managed a couple of sessions down the gym, and I’m finding it easier to run on the treadmill now so I’m hoping this will help with my motivation to get my butt out of the house!
To celebrate Bank Holiday Monday, I managed a quick circuit round Pitsford in a fairly respectable time of 1:11:16 (including an extra mile back to Matt’s house) instead of running on Easter Sunday. I also avoided Easter eggs – more because nobody bought me one, than my own willpower – but enjoyed a few cheeky glasses of wine. I am also proud of the fact that I have rearranged my social fixtures for this weekend so I don’t miss my weekend run – that’s dedication for you – so it’ll be a fleeting visit to Birmingham Saturday afternoon and back home Saturday night in preparation for Sunday.
For this week’s long run, we are attempting twice round an 8 mile course which we all like. 16 miles will be the furthest we’ve run and each week we’ll be adding on a mile until we reach 21 (three times round the Pitsford course we did last week at the beginning of May). We are ahead of the training schedules that we have from the marathon people for our Sunday morning runs, so that puts my mind at rest.
I’m not going to promise to go down the gym more this week, because I’ll only be disappointed when I read this blog next week and I haven’t done it. I am, however, going to try my best – that is what this marathon lark is all about.
27 March 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment